Invest-Pays Basque CCI
Boardsports and Sports Industry
Main characteristics of the board-riding sports sector
Due to its natural advantages and the presence of the main surf and board-riding companies, the Basque coast has become the European reference for Boardsports and Biarritz its capital.
What this sector represents on the Atlantic coast:
- 3,000 jobs, with a turnover of 800 million euros
- the Basque Country is "Europe's Little California" to quote the American professionals
- more than 30 major brands set up in the area
- 13 major brands established on the coast : Billabong, Globe, Gotcha, Headworx, Hoff, Hurley, Ocean Pacific, O'Neill, Quiksilver, Reef, Ripcurl, Rusty, Salomon.
- leading companies in the publishing and communications field : ASR Europe, Extrême Vidéo, Kinkmag, Surf Europe Mag, Surf Session, Surfbusiness.com...
- major surfing events : Biarritz Surf Festival, O'Neill Surf Challenge, La Nuit du Surf, Quiksilver Pro France...
- made-to-measure training with the DESS Board-riding Sports university programme: unique in Europe
A cluster called "Eurosima" was created 4 years ago. More about the cluster
What significant advantages for other sports?
- Targeted sports : outdoor sports other than board-riding sports (water, air) and golf/ball sports
- Natural resources ; mountains, ocean and greatest concentration of golf courses in Europe
- Favourable environment
- Region with sporting and touristic image
- Presences of skills in design, distribution network management, etc.
- Golf Sports/Study section with the American Golf School
- Technological resource centres for technical design
- Developed medical environment
Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie
Bayonne Bays Basque
BP 215 - 50-51, allées Marines
64102 Bayonne cedex
Tél. 05 59 46 59 48
Fax. 05 59 46 58 18
Mail : email@example.com